Throughout history a woman’s place in society has varied. We have seen women be thought of as nothing but property. On the other hand we’ve seen queens wield great powers. Anyone who thinks women are in any way less than a man is missing something in his life. Proverbs 31 shows just some of the strengths a virtuous women can hold.
1. She is wise. “She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.” (16) A virtuous woman takes what the Lord gives her and wisely multiplies it.
2. She is strong (17) “ She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.” To gird ones loins indicates a person who is preparing to do something strenuous. A virtuous woman is strong in her work.
3. She is relentlessly meticulous. “She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.” (18) A virtuous woman is always performing quality control on her product. Whatever she produces, she works tirelessly to make sure it’s of a good quality.
4. She is skilled. “She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.” (19) The distaff is the part of the spindle machine on which the wool or flax is collected, but it takes practice to develop that skill. A virtuous woman dedicates herself to honing her skills.
5. She is giving. “She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.” (20) A virtuous woman is more interested in giving than receiving. She is thoughtful of others’ needs and strives to meet those needs by giving of herself.
I personally don’t see anything weak about women in these verses. Women have great strength and a husband’s responsibility is to recognize his wife’s value and help her reach her full potential. A pastor once told me his marriage changed drastically when he came to the realization he was treating his wife like an employee. Husbands and wives ought to work together in their strengths. Ladies, choose today to be that virtuous woman, and men, choose today to honor and value your wife as the blessing and gift from God she is.