It’s very easy as we go through this human existence called “life” to sometimes get our eyes focused on the here and now instead of seeing the big picture of what God is doing in our lives. Our reading today in Romans 8 should cause us to realize and appreciate what God is up to.
I want to look specifically at verses 29-30 which states:
“For whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover, whom He did predestinate, them He also called: and whom He called, them He also justified: and whom He justified, them He also glorified.
In these verses, we see the “big picture” of what God has done and is doing in and through His children. We can’t help but notice a list of five action words; verbs that no doubt volumes could be written about but we’ll just briefly touch on what each of these mean.
- “Foreknew” — In God’s infinite knowledge He knew who would be saved and become a child of God.
- “Predestined” — God predetermined a course of action for those who would be saved; that is, that they would be conformed to the image of His Son.
- “Called” — This word indicates the call and wooing of God in our lives for salvation.
- “Justified” — Once we have responded to this call, God declares us justified and gives us the privilege of having a right standing with Him.
- “Glorified” — Because we have been justified, we have the opportunity to share in His glory.
What a powerful list of words indicating what God is doing behind the scenes in our lives. We are not here by accident nor did God create the world and let fate take over from there. Instead, He is actively involved in the affairs of men, and particularly those of His children. Knowing and appreciating the truth of these two verses allows u to claim the familiar promise in verse 28, “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose”.